Sunday 13 December 2015

Fly the great big sky, see the great big sea. Kick through continents, busting boundaries. Roam if you want to, roam around the world (Roam - B52s)

I love the B52s.  They remind me of when I was really 29, those carefree days, spending many a weekend in Cornwall with the Girlie Glees.  I had this song on my playlist when I first started to travel on my own as I thought the words were just so significant. My first trip alone was to a continent I had waited years and years to visit; Australia. It was at a time in my life that I had never felt so alone, unloved and unwanted. My world had fallen apart, yet here I was living a dream I had carried with me since I was 17 years old. Australia is a huge continent and I wanted to feel so small, so insignificant in a big world. I remember standing in the outback at night at Uluru, looking up at my beautiful stars of the Southern Hemisphere, thinking that they were, and still are, the second most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life.  It made me realise, then and there, that we really are just a small speck, making our way home.   As usual, here is the video ..... enjoy!




I forgot to mention in Friday's blog, when we were at Jack's Bar last night we noticed a number of photographers hanging around before we went in.  When we come out there were quite a few more and also TV camera crews. Obviously, by then and two cocktails later, we just assumed that they were there to film us.  However, it now transpires, after I have just seen the news that they were there for someone else.  The Restaurant next to the bar we were in was hosting the Stop The War Campaign's Christmas meal and Jeremy Corbyn was attending - hence the press interest.  Also, the restaurant that we then went to, the Union Cafe, is own by Gordon Ramsay and he is often in attendance, well according to their web page.  I am going to have to raise the bar, I am now well and truly in the fast lane!

Saturday: I was wide awake at 5.30 ..... sigh. But I was surprisingly feeling refreshed and ready to start the day.  Not many more Saturdays left before Christmas.  Today I am leaving the City again and going to Zone Six! I am sure I will get homesick as I see the skyline of the City slowly fading away.  I am going back to my home county of Kent to see my Auntie, my Dad's Sister.  The good thing about living back home again is that I can visit more often.  This year I do not have to put a cheque in the post, I can actually take her a present.

Up, showered and dressed and off to London Bridge to get the train.  One arrived as soon as I got there.  Walked from the station to my Auntie's home. She was so pleased to see me and she is the only person I have left who has known me from the day I was born and loves me unconditionally.  We spent time drinking coffee and catching up.  She then prepared me a lovely salad for lunch.  She always panics because I am vegetarian and makes it such a big thing love her.  I tell her it is fine, cheese will do.  However, I better not go and visit when I am having a vegan day.  Spent the rest of the day chatting. We exchanged gifts and I started to make my way home.  It was a lovely day.

Back in London and once again, oh how I missed it.  To be honest.  I was tired. I had a couple of rather large Bailey's at my Aunties and the fact that I was awake from 5.30am had started to take it's toll.  I got home and had half an hour on my bed; a little doze.  All week The Shard has been messing with their lights and tonight it happened.  The top of The Shard is now changing colour. I tried to take photos but they have not come out very well.  The top changes from being totally green, to bright white, to red and then a combination of all three.  It looks stunning. I really love that building.  I am looking out the window now as I type this. Our Poundland red lights contrast lovely with The Shard's wonderful display.  

Quiet evening as I have a packed schedule ahead (more about that later), so we just watched The Imitation Game (again for me).  I first saw this in Bangkok and laughed 20 seconds before the Thais who were having to read sub titles.  I do like this film. I did chuckle at one part of it as I remember Legs telling me about, and us subsequently 'discussing', can computers think and him telling me about The Turing Test.  So when that part of the film come on with the wonderful Rory Kinnear, I did smile to myself.  But like I said to Legs at the time, computers are still binary, they do not have a heart!

Sunday:  It would not matter how many lights there are on The Shard, I cannot see her this morning because of the low cloud.  It is a wet day in London.  My little meditation group was as wonderful as ever.  I am so happy there and the people are so lovely.  I had brunch today, duly cooked by Michelle.  I had Turkish Eggs and they were delicious.  It set me up for the rest of the day.

I left the cafe and walked along the Regent's canal towards Islington.  I was a woman on a mission.  It was still damp and cloudy but it was good to be out in the fresh air.  London still never ceases to amaze me.  Around every corner there is always a surprise waiting to leap out and make you smile.  Today was no exception.  I had not walked this way along the canal before and it was completely different than when I walked the other way towards Victoria Park.

Some of the apartments over looking the canal are stunning.  I cannot begin to imagine how much these would be to rent let alone buy. 

The canal boats were all moored up and I thought to myself how cold they must be to live on this time of the year.  I was making my way to Islington.  I have been up this way before and really liked it.  The houses here are so lovely.  I like the feel of the area.  If I could, I would like to work at Angel.  It has the usual shops  I like: Monsoon, Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Boots, Marks & Spencer to name a few. I told myself that when I need to go townie shopping I will now go to Angel Islington, especially as I can walk there from my little cafe on a Sunday.   However, I was making my way to this little village to buy something special.  

Two of the women who attend my Meditation Group had told me a few weeks ago about a lovely chocolate shop at Camden Passage.  The shop is called Paul Young (as in Wherever I Lay My Hat Is My Home!) but not that one.  It was such a lovely, quirky shop and as soon as I opened the door the smell was putting pounds on my hips.

To be honest, I did not have my glasses on and could not see how much the handmade chocolates actually were.  They had a box of 4, 9, 16 and then goodness knows how many!  I decided to go for just 9 as I had been told, and read on their webpage that they are rich.  I selected some of the following: Marmite ...... I love Marmite, Champagne Truffle, Salted Caramel, Peanut Butter, Orange Creme, Chocolate Brownie and some more which I cannot remember.  I also bought a chocolate brownie and a salt caramel millionaire's shortbread for Andy and I.  It was a wonderful experience and my thoughts this Christmas is to have quality not quantity.  

I spent an hour or so walking around Islington, browsing in the shops and soaking up the atmosphere of Christmas.  I went and got the rest of my presents and then made my way home.  The chocolate brownie was gorgeous. We cut it in half and I was stuffed! Wrapped up some presents, wrote some cards and sat and chilled.  I cannot believe how much I am looking forward to Christmas this year.  I am OK now, no more wobbles.  I am sitting here looking at The Shard in all her glory and thinking how blessed I am.  I have not done many clever things in my life; having my daughter was one of the most amazing things I have done.  But moving to London was the best decision ever. It has not made feelings go away and I don't want them to disappear, and as always, I still have hope. But London has given me the opportunities and experiences I would never, ever have experienced.


As always, with my love x



No comments:

Post a Comment