Saturday 26 September 2015

All the lonely hearts in London (wished they) caught a plane and flew away. And all the best (wo)men are married. All the handsome men are gay! (Supreme - Robbie Williams)

Wow another week rolls out in front of me. Where are they coming from and going to? Time keeps rolling on and so do I.  A really busy week this week.

This week's song popped into my head, which let's face it is rather disturbing. It is a song by Robbie Williams (heart sinks) that bloke from Stoke. I never got him, never want to either thank goodness.  For me, he just confirmed all what I felt of the place ...... vile! I must have met over 50 people who stated that they had babysat him when he was younger. Blimey. I hope Social Services were involved (thinking about it, nah that would never have happened either). As that kid was left with more strangers than is ever good for any one, but subsequently that could answer a great deal. The best story I heard about him was someone's brother at school thought he was a mouthy big head and stuffed him head first into a wheelie bin. Like I say the words popped into my head and I do think all the handsome men, well most of the men, well probably all of the men, are gay!

I also saw this quote this evening by Shakespeare like! It was etched above the bar at the venue.

'I pray you do not fall in love (really, well that is not going to happen ever again. I don't do love ..... Sorry Margaret I will try for you) with me, for I am falser than vows made in wine (or a can of Stella)!' taken from As You Like It Act 3 Scene 3.

I could not really ignore it. The 'messages' for want of any other word, are still coming fast and furious. Much to the amusement of others. There is a theme: cartoon characters sigh! Four to date. That is a message in itself. I just smile, roll my eyes and laugh. In fact perhaps we should have a competition.  Name all four characters and win a prize. All is well.

Monday:  This evening Andy and I went to RADA - The Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (darlings). No we are not taking to the stage. Though both of us can be very dramatic when the mood fits. Well, perhaps one of us more than the other! We had free BBC tickets to go and see a radio show being recorded.
Went to the bar first and one bottle of lager and the pair of us are being amusing, playing our usual game of 'oh he's nice' 'he's gay' game. Just for the record, I never win, they are always gay! Unless they are a minger then they are surprisingly straight!  I can't remember what the show was called, it's a new show on BBC Radio 4 but that Mel was in it as in Mel and Sue.  It had some funny bits but nothing really hysterical. But hey, it was a free night out what more could you ask.  We were both hungry when we come out so we went and had some OK Italian food. It was a good evening, but strange to be out on Monday night. But hey, this is London. So tucked up in bed listening to some music and writing this.  

Tuesday: I lay in bed this morning just looking at The Shard. I cannot tell you how much that makes me happy. OK rolling over and looking at Hugh Grant or Colin Firth would be better but at least The Shard is real!

This morning I met my French friend who I have now named (thanks to Jackie)
as Pepe Pepe Le Phew. You know, the French little cartoon character (get the link) skunk. I am showing him where the big Tesco is near to us. And right on cue, Chris Evans plays the American National Anthem, I mean really, how random ...... Welcome folks to my world where random, odd ball, strange, weird, spooky, unusual and totally bonkers is the norm!

Met Pepe Pepe in the most torrential rain! We got the bus to Tesco as he want a saucepan and cutlery. I wanted anything green for the flat's new toy.  Pepe Pepe come back to the flat for a drink. The weather was vile.  He does not drink tea or coffee but fortunately I had an old jar of Options lol, so gave him that. Then I remembered that the French normally drink it in a soup bowl. He reassured me that is just for breakfast. Sat and had a chat and I was giving him some idea of places he could go and explore. Then I said have you been to Brixton? He had not. I said that it is like Marmite: you either love it or hate it.  He did not know what I was banging on about so I went and got my Marmite and put the smallest amount on the end of a spoon. Well! What a reaction. I went to get him some water and he was trying to say that he needed to spit it out but could not find the English word for spit lol it was so funny. Pandemonium taking place in our kitchen. I gave him a chewing gum and I was laughing.  He did laugh as well. It was so funny. So now he knows what the British mean when we say it is like Marmite. I was telling him to go and look at like Leadenhall Market. He said is it a market. No. Temple. Is it a Temple. No. You do not realise how ridiculous our language is at times until you try to explain it to someone who does not have English as their first language. Said our goodbyes and I had a quick Vegan lunch of green stuff and then went to check the post and yay! DBS arrived and guess what? I have never been convicted of anything. Really? 

Caught the bus up to Oxford Street and treated myself to new clothes for work. It is a new chapter and I want it to be new. So two lovely blouses, a pair of trousers and a pair of shoes later. Trust me it could have been at least four
pairs of shoes and six blouses. Mmmmm note to self: clothes allowance each month me thinks.  Then to John Lewis. Oh how I have missed that store. And I purchased a juicer. I have told Andy that we need to get our lives in order. Well more him than me but don't tell him that!  So we now have a juicer and I have called it Dante as in Beatrice! 

So tonight I made some green. Kale, spinach, grapes, almond milk, apple, banana and raspberries .................... and it was green. But it tasted ok but can't help thinking some gin may help it but that is not the point.  I have some to take to work tomorrow. I am hoping to move on to another colour by the weekend; perhaps red maybe.  We are lucky here as there are loads of stalls in the market that sell fruit and vegetables so cheap, so we don't have an excuse really.  I have told Andy that by March we are going to be like hipsters in our skinny jeans and tight shirts and he can have the beard and I will put flowers in my hair.  I cannot help thinking we will be having a bike next. But the thought of riding a bike in London terrifies me.  So the plan is Vegan three times a week, smoothie green for lunch.  We can but try. I will keep you updated.

So kind of early night tonight as school tomorrow then straight to the pub.  I may as well start off how I mean to carry on.  New dawn, new day, another new chapter begins.

Wednesday: Work!  I was awake before the alarm, showered, hair make up done, dressed and ready to roll. I left the flat to be greeted by a beautiful blue skied, autumnal morning. iPod playing David Guetta and I was off to the bus stop. I got a bit emotional if I am to be honest. The day had finally arrived. A new chapter.  I managed to get a seat on the bus and just looked out of the window smiling. The bus soon filled up, them emptied and I arrived at 8:20; I needed to be there for 9:00.  I found a lovely independent coffee bar and sat outside in the sunshine, watching the planes come into Heathrow. thinking now I do feel like a Londoner.

Got to my office and met my boss and my colleagues.  Everyone seems very welcoming and spent the whole morning in a staff meeting which was informative.  The day passed really quick and my colleagues seem really nice, so that is a bonus.  I walked to the Overground with two of my colleagues and shared the train for part of the journey with one.  It is funny when you start a new job you are kind of false as I was on my best behaviour.  Wait until they find out what I am really like.

Took the Overground to Shoreditch High Street where it was all happening.  It was like a Saturday night in Hanley.  Well the people looked different. Plenty of beards for me to look at! It was so, so busy. I found the pub and got myself a well earned Gin and Tonic and joined the group.  I had a lovely evening and I was full on, spreading my sparkle and chatting away to complete strangers; as I do so well.  Pepe Pepe le Pew arrived and we all sat there chatting about this and that. It was a lovely evening.  They were a great crowd of people.

I left at 8:15 and my new neighbour (Pepe Pepe) joined me.  We were laughing on the bus about the Marmite incident. Still very funny. Pepe Pepe's flat is before mine so we said our goodbyes and said that we will go for a drink one night at our local instead of going to the International Meet Up and just talking to each other there - kind of makes sense.

Back home. Bin emptied, make up off, fruit smoothie made for breakfast, Marmite and toast and tea made, bag packed for tomorrow, clothes out and breathe.  This week is so busy without work but this is why I wanted to come to London, to meet people and have a social life and I am certainly doing that. Today has been good.

Thursday:  This week is crazy! Work was fine. I met another member of staff and our team seem very supportive. Work out of the way it was on the bus and up to the Royal Opera House at Covent Garden to see the ballet - Romeo and Juliet.  I have always been a lover of the arts but never really had the opportunity to explore it. So now that I can, I am.

The Opera House is such a beautiful building. I collected my ticket from Antony the Organiser, who is a star and went to my seat; which ironically was the one down from the one I had last week for the opera.  I really cannot find the words
to describe the ballet.  The costumes were amazing. The colours, the music but the dancing. It was magical. The dancers were so graceful, flowing, effortless. Mind you I did think that Romeo had the whole contents of my sock drawer stuffed down his pants!

So it was Romeo and Juliet so you know it is not going to end well.  The tragic tale of the star crossed lovers ..... sigh! But it was just so moving; so emotional. I have to confess my bottom lip and chin were wobbling at the final scene when Romeo is dancing with the lifeless body of Juliet because he wants her to come back alive.  It was that moving. I am totally hooked on ballet and will definitely be going to see some more. Back to the flat quick catch up with Andy. Bed.

Friday: Today I was working from another office, the one I assumed I would be working from. The one that is a five minute walk up the road.  But hey, this is me.  Would you expect me to do anything easy? Went well then back home for a quick turn around.  I had an email from Pepe Pepe le phew during the day and we had arranged to meet for drinks at our local. Food, shower, hair wash, make up and out the door. I have to tell you this story. It is a typical Karenism.  He asked me about someone (I will keep this neutral) and I said that they were a bit of a knob! Then I had to describe what I meant about a knob. So Pepe Pepe says OK is this the only meaning of the word knob!  At that point I thought 'shit' I have dug myself in a hole here!  So I showed him a door knob and said this a knob. I was laughing.  We had only walked 200 yards and I had lowered the conversation, not intentionally!  I finally told him that it can mean also a man's penis. But seriously, if you think about it we use words without even thinking of them because we know the different contexts they can hold.  But if English is not your first language you can see it is a minefield.

Got to our pub and had a drink and a good chat and it is great meeting someone from another country as they can tell you so much.  We ended up in
Bermondsey at the lovely gin bar I went to before! Two very strong gin cocktails later my Franglaise was flowing and Pepe Pepe's Engfraise was as well.  It was so funny. We were not both really drunk but obviously had a few and the barriers were well and truly down.  We ended up talking about what happens to Eurostar when it leaves England on the left and rolls up in France on the left, even though they drive on the right. I know. I know.  I had a really lovely, lovely evening. Gin and good conversation and lots of laughter.  A perfect end to an amazing week.

As always, with my love x









No comments:

Post a Comment