Saturday 7 November 2015

Just one psychological drama after another (Drama! - Erasure)



Monday:  Well I moved to my new office which is a five minute walk and it feels as if I have started a new job.  5.00pm come around so quick and back home. I needed to eat vegetables tonight; I think it is the autumnal weather. So parsnips and potatoes being roasted and a huge steamer of veg ready to go. I haven't been able to see The Shard for two evenings now because of the fog, I know it is still there somewhere, but I do miss it!

Lazy night tonight. That is normally the way on a Monday, so I just ease into the week and also both Andy and I were so tired from the weekend - hence having a quite Monday.  Most people start the week refreshed from their weekend, but not us, we are the complete opposite.  So it was three episodes of Sex and The City.  That box set is almost coming to an end but we treated ourselves, via Ebay, to the complete set of The West Wing.  We know how to live it up!

Tuesday:  Every morning I leave the flat, headphones in, bag on shoulder, work bag in hand.  I open the door and say out loud (well not so loud) 'Good Morning London'.  OK I am not Robin Williams and this sure ain't Vietnam or Kansas but I look up at The Shard and smile and start, what is now only five minutes walk commute, to work. 

I had to complete a form this morning on-line.  Statistical data .... sigh!  Now I am in the 55-65 box! I mean, really?  What does this tell people out me, by me ticking this box? They will interpret it as the stereotypical, socially constructed image of a 'typical' 55 year old!  I refuse to be categorised in a box by the constraints of others.  I feel younger now than I did ten years ago! OK ...... rant over!

New 9-5 went well then a quick hop and jump and back to the flat.  Both Andy and I are out tomorrow night so I prepared a vegetable stew for the slow cooker and we sat and watched Sex and the City and that is when it happened.  We were watching an episode when half way through the penny dropped that Carrie's new bloke was residing in a mental institution when I realised that I have done that one. I had a date with a guy who had spent quite a great deal of time within the mental health service.  No it was not the one I was married to, but perhaps could have been.  It was hysterical.  The pair of us could not breathe let alone laugh.  My ribs ached so much, it was so funny the pair of us were in hysterics.  I guess when I look back I have had a blast, living life to the full and I know there are plenty more adventures to come.  All in good time.

Wednesday:  Hump day ............ again! This week is flying by.  London feels different again.  It is hard to describe.  Today it is misty and wet but even though I am living slap bang in the city, it feels so autumnal. The children being taken to school by their parents in their now not so new shoes and winter coats. The cyclists now in leggings and only a few in shorts. It is that period leading up to the time of the year that, for the past four years, I have loathed. This year I am like a child.  I am so excited about Christmas, just saying the word makes me smile.  Kylie switched the lights on in Regent Street over the weekend, so I will go and see them at least once.  I have started to look to do some volunteering again on Christmas Day, but the problem is, whilst there is probably plenty of volunteering taking place, I have no transport.  The buses and tube will not be running so I need to find somewhere nearby so I can walk. To date, this has been the issue.  If not, I will rethink and do something.  You know me, I always have at least a Plan B, C, D and X!

New Meet Up this evening over the more exclusive part of town.  It was a Meet Up to play Cards Against Humanity.  I have played this numerous times with Andy and his mates so I thought I would give it a go.  It was OK. Interesting mix of people from all over the place: Switzerland (of course), Italy, Australia and Saudi Arabia to name a few. They all seemed to do amazing, exciting and highly paid jobs.  However, I have never been so proud to say that I have based my career in the voluntary sector, working with the unloved, the unwashed and the unwanted.  I then get the patronising 'oh I could not do that job' statement. I always smile then reply 'no you could not, because you could not live on my salary.'  I am so thankful for the opportunities I have had to support people over the years.  These people have enhanced and given me a richness to my own life. But the Meet Up itself was a laugh and at least I am out and about doing something.  Back home and a quick catch up with Andy then bed as I am tired tonight and hey it is the weekend soon I need to get some rest so I am ready for Saturday and Sunday.  

Thursday:  I slept really well last night and now my mind is thinking about the weekend, which, as always, will start tomorrow night.  But first I have work which really does get in the way of having a good time.  But the day fly by.  The evening was split into two halves; firstly two very difficult and upsetting phone calls with me trying to make things right for people. But as life has taught me, this is not always possible. The other half was trying to find certain ingredients.  I felt like a contestant in The Apprentice.  I will not go into great details at the moment; I shall see if the event takes place.  But needless to say, I found almost what I was looking for.

Tonight's events made me think of my own life and experiences.  I think the older you get, and remember I am only 29, the more you think, what is all

about?  My friend Sarah, who is travelling at the moment summed it all up recently.  She said 'I told you that work (and in my case domesticity and normal living) is so over rated!'.  She is right.  But hey, tomorrow is Friday and if all goes to plan, I have a busy and amazing weekend in store.

Friday: Work done.  It is Friday!  I met Andy at our local tube which was a 3 minute walk from my desk and we were off to the O2.  There is something so magical about Fridays.  I think it is the thought that the week is done and the whole purpose of me coming to London is here; to get out and about and have some adventures.  

Arrived at the O2 and it was so busy. There was an American wrestling thing going on.  We found some food and ended up having two cocktails as well.  I did not think they were that strong, until half way through the second one!  Now it is confession time.  I have a 'thing' about the pictures.  I like to sit to the right as you look at the screen, and two thirds of the way up.  I do not like having people sitting next to me (or around me if I can help it).  I know, I know.  So we get to the screen and we are the first there and it is so dark.  I hate it.  So Andy starts. He runs up to the top of the seats and hides.  I was petrified.  I had the torch on my phone and just went and sat at any seat telling him to stop and come out.  He did not answer. I was so scared then he just appeared next to me.  I tell you my friends, it is a wonder I am still here.  I screamed then giggled and giggled.  I think the cocktails had really hit home.  We watched the previews of up and coming films and then I randomly remembered that I needed a shallot.  So we were giggling again.  

We went to see Spectre.  Now this is something I thought would never happen.  Me going to the cinema to see a James Bond film.  It was really, really good
and I did enjoy it.  And let's face it, he is very easy on the eye! But by the end we were both very tired.  As we left the O2 so did all the children and small adults who had been to see the American wrestling thing.  I do not do children these days.  I have done that and have more than too any scares to prove it.  But why oh why would a parent take a small child to see full grown men throw themselves around a ring? Why? I was saying to Andy that this country gets more Americanised every day and it is not good.  They were making a wolf like cry which really was getting on my nerves.  Andy said I was acting my age! Grrrrr.  I was just being English!  There is nothing worse on a Friday night than other peoples children being American.

Back to the flat and straight to bed.  I have a very (hopefully) busy and enjoyable Friday.

Oh I need a shallot :) 

As always, with my love x













No comments:

Post a Comment