Monday 27 July 2015

Keep On Chasing Down That Rainbow; You'll Never Know What You Might Find! (What a Life - Noel Gallagher)



Exciting day today!  It is Friday.

Well what happened to the weather?  All those lovely, hot summer days and today!  To say rain would be an understatement.  But that was not going to darken my day.  I left the flat in between the showers and got to London Bridge early.  Now I know there are a lot of building and engineering work going on at that station at the moment but, there was not an arrivals board.  Departure boards - no arrival board.  So you can depart from London Bridge, but you can never leave.  That is like a reversed line from an Eagle's song.

I finally found someone who was helpful and made my way down to Platforms 1, 2 and 3.  So I am standing there, listening to my music minding my own business and an assistant just asks me if I am OK.  I explained to her that I was waiting from a train to come from the Medway Towns and she said it would arrive on Platform 2 or 3.  I then told her that I was here to meet my friend that I had not seen for 36 years.  She was amazed and we got chatting (as I do).  It then turns out that both herself and her month and previously worked where I worked and that her Mum lives just round the corner from one of my friends in Kent ......... of course they do!  That six degrees of separation strikes again.  

I moved to the end of Platform 2 & 3 and then Karen arrived.  Oh it was so great.  We just hugged, screamed, laughed cried and then repeat.  It was so great.  The lovely woman who I had been talking to took a photo for us.  It really was a lovely moment.



I know it is a strange thing to say, but it was like we had never been apart.  We were both so happy to be together.  The weather by now was utterly vile, so we went to the nearest Costa and sat and talked, and talked and talked.  Sometimes it was happy things; sometimes it was tragic things that we shared about our lives. Filling in the gaps.  I did have to smile as one of the songs they started playing when we were chatting was the Elbow song with the line in that I have quoted before ... 'If we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time'.  Nah not a coincidence, just the way my life is.  We went to Borough Market and had one of the most amazing toasted cheese sandwiches ever (this is about the forth time I have been there and they are amazing).  We wanted to walk along the river but the paths and road were turning into a river by then.  So we just found a Pret a Manger and had more coffee.  As we were walking from the counter with our drinks the guy asked if we would like some napkins and Karen thought he said 'Nice tits' lol which made a scream with laughter.  And that is very much how the rest of the afternoon panned out. 

It is funny when you look back.  You see things and remember things that are important to you but may not be to anyone else.  So Karen's interpretation of something had a different angle to mine and visa versa.  It was so funny as we were remembering names from school, romance and more.  The time just flew; I knew it would.  It was such a shame but we were just so thankful that we had met up and done this.

We walked back up to London Bridge station and it was mayhem.  Trains were cancelled.  A train finally arrived for Karen and we hugged and kissed and hugged some more and she got on the train.  I have to admit I felt sad to see her go but I know that we will meet up again soon.  She had a terrible journey home because of the trains but I am so pleased that we had spent this time together.

On the way home I was thinking (as I do) about how as a child then as a teenager you have these dreams, thoughts ideas about how you want or think your life should pan out. Things you think you have a God given right to have.  I guess it is naivety or you could argue, wishful thinking.  Then life takes hold and it shapes you, hardens you, changes you.  But today we took off that armour and remembered how it used to be, remembered our dreams and thoughts, our old friends our memories.  I am so thankful that I had that opportunity.  We shall meet up again soon.

Back to the flat absolutely wet through, so shower and PJs and a relaxing evening.

Saturday: The trouble with not working is that every day seems like a weekend.  Now you may think that is a good thing; it is not.  I am beginning to crave for structure.

Today Andy and I went for brunch at King's Cross.  We went to Dishoom, the Indian restaurant I went to the other week at Shoreditch.  Beautiful place and the most wonderful food.  Andy had the Big Bombay which was an Indian take on a English Breakfast I had the most amazing scrambled eggs, mushrooms and tomato.  We had chai which was amazing and I had three cups of it.  We also had a blended fruit juice each.  Once again I cannot fault the food and would highly recommend this restaurant.


The food is really filling and that lasted me all day.  I could not get over how much King's Cross has changed.  Before it used to be a kind of no go area but now, like many places in London it has been gentrified and now is full of hipsters ....... which are, let's face it, easy on the eye and trendy.

I left Andy at the tube and I went to do some shopping as there was only wine and cheese on my shelf in the fridge.  I went to the supermarket then to the South East Asian supermarket, which I love and is only five minutes up the road.  So noodles, spices, sushi and bits and bobs later and walked home.  It was a beautiful day today, such a contrast from yesterday.  

A few hours relaxing at home and then it was time to get ready as I was on another Meet Up night out.  I have to admit was a little bit, well I cannot say anxious, but I guess guarded because of the incident two weeks ago.  This Meet Up was a brand new group and it was to meet and to just go for a drink in certain areas of London.  The first one as in Kennington, just down the road.

I arrived at the first pub and met the people and I have to say I had a really, really lovely evening.  I met a couple who have moved to London from Hong Kong.  Helen knew all about the community garden project locally and I am going to email her today and go along with her.  I learnt from three girls about the 'Tumble Weave' lol of Peckham. Basically, this is found in the street and is the extension hair that mainly black women use.  When the hairdresser's doors open the wind catches it and it rolls down the street . . . . . hence Tumble Weave (not weed).  I thought it was hysterical and there are pictures of it.  So here we go.




This really did amuse me and me and the girls had a good giggle.  At the second pub we also all played Bar Billiards, something I haven't seen for ages and it was such a laugh.  A really lovely group of people.  Some started to leave and we left for the third and final pub.  Here I learnt a great deal about different whisky and that you never, never add ice to it lol.  A great evening!



By now the group was about six of us and I thanked Jamie, the organiser for starting up this group.  It was relaxed, fun and really enjoyable.  We talked about loads of things and it really was a great group ....... at last!  So the next meet up is in a couple of weeks on a Wednesday evening then in a months time on a Saturday again where we will be visiting pubs at Angel.  Which will be great as I have not been up that way yet.

So walked home.  Yes I walk home.  I do not feel that I will get attacked or anything stereotypical of people's thoughts of London.  I think that if you walk with confidence, not grabbing hold of your bag and waiting for something to happen it will happen.  I just stroll around like it is three in the afternoon.  So got home had a chat with Andy and went to bed very contented.

Sunday: Mmmmm really interesting day today which I am not going to share.  Come on, give the girl a break! You don't have to know everything about my life! So I will share some more graffiti from the other day with you and some more beautiful ironwork I found not to far from our flat.  Enjoy!  And I know for some of the more curious of you it will be killing you that  you don't know ...... but hey get over it lol, that is life!


As always, with my love x









No comments:

Post a Comment