Friday 11 December 2015

I've had relations with boys from many nations. I've made passes at men of all classes. And just because you're gay I won't turn you away. If you stick around, I'm sure that we can find some common ground (Sexuality - Billy Bragg)

I just love this song.  I love Billy Bragg.  This song was released in 1991, way before laws were introduced to protect people's rights to have partners of their choice. It was a anti-homophobic and a safe sex song. Looking back, it does look dated now, but at the time it was such a powerful (as many of Billy Bragg's songs are) message.  There are so many famous people in the video:  Kirsty MacColl sings on the track.  She was so talented and died, as many do, far too young. She had such a passion for life and many of her songs were co-written with Billy Bragg. Johnny Marr plays guitar who was the lead guitarist with The Smiths and Morrissey and, who in my opinion, is one of the greatest guitar players in recent times. Oh and he is a teetotal vegan!  You have to love him. Then there is Phil Jupitus who also amuses me, he is such a funny guy.  




Monday:  Whilst living in London may give me opportunities and experiences I would never have had living up North; it is an expensive City to be living in.  Do not be under all illusion that I earn thousands; far from it.  In fact, I only earn slightly more than I did when working up North.  My rent is extortionate, but the bills are halved and that kind of balances things out.  I remember back in the summer when one of my dear friends come down from Stoke to visit me and to make sure I was OK (love her). We were walking towards Borough and I said to her how I wished I could live there.  She said to me 'why don't you?'.  Anyone who knows or lives in London would know straight away the reason why I am not living in Borough. I explained to her it was because I could not afford it.  I asked her how much her rent was for her home in Stoke, at it was about £360 a month!  I carefully worded, but told her my half of the rent for the flat and she nearly collapsed when she found out it was not the total amount each month, but just my half.  She could not believe it.   She almost had a heart attack, I kid you not.  London is expensive.  It is a playground for those with money to spend.  Alas, I am not one of them!

However, I look at living in London as in investment.  An investment in my life, because of the lifestyle I now live.  I am very careful with my money.  If I lived like a tourist here, I would never survive.  So I do not!  Don't get me wrong, of course I go out. But I try to take the bus, instead of the tube as it is cheaper (it is not always practical or possible though), most of the galleries and museums are free, I eat a simple but healthy diet with me normally having at least two vegan days a week.  I only buy 'stuff' now if I really, really need it, as opposed to wanting it. Apart from anything else, in the past few years I have gone from a four bedroom home to a room in a two bedroom flat.  There really is not the room for plenty of 'stuff'. All this coupled together works and gives me the choice and opportunity to be living in this wonderful, diverse, crazy, wonderful City.

I had an American client today .... sigh!  He called me Ma'am (of course he did) and when my pen was not working looked in his bag to see if he had a Sharpie (a Sharpie is an American manufacture of what we would call a felt tip pen!). I am very familiar with the word Sharpie.  He was lovely and had such a great accent.  I think I will have to start 'hanging out' around Grosvenor Square too see if I can find myself one; they do make me smile.

Tuesday:  Really busy, but productive day today between 9.00am to 5.00pm. I would hate me if I wasn't me. I am so organised and I was going for it today! After work I went to do some shopping.  I have purchased my first Christmas jumper.  Everyone wears one one day at work so I thought I better be a sheep. It was OK I got 30% off so it will do.  I do not think there will be any pictures. Favourite tea tonight, avocado on toast with scrambled egg.

I had a phone call from one of my friends in Stoke tonight.  Her 7 year old daughter thinks something terrible is going to happen to me as I am living in London.  She has watched the news and now all the terrorist threats are playing on her little mind, love her.  I had a chat with her and tried to reassure her. She said to her Mum that I should go home now.  Her Mum, tried to explain to her that I was home and London is my home. But she would not have any of it. It just goes to show how things play on children's little minds.

I got all ready tonight to watch Luther. I sat there at 21:00 in anticipation, only to be told that it is in fact .................... next week! Doh! It gave Andy a good giggle. My face was a picture of confusion then disappointment.  Just a normal day then.

Wednesday:  Wednesday again.  I get out of the office on a Wednesday had have to travel out of town a bit.  Today was beautiful.  Bright blue skies and I sat in the part and shared my lunch with a robin who seemed to be very interested in me.  I watched the planes come into land at Heathrow as I was right over the flight path.  On the way home I went to a sort of larger supermarket and got some bits for Christmas, then to the library to collect a couple of DVDs and then to the GPs. What a shock that was. I had such a lovely GP in Stoke, he was (and still is) my friend.  He looked after me when I first arrived in Stoke and supported me throughout my pregnancy and right up until I left.  I have a new Doctor's surgery now which is really, really good.

Tonight I saw another new Doctor who was lovely and looked about 18. In fact, I thought she was on work placement. I did have to point out to her at one point that I was a reasonably intelligent women and understand the concept of medication. She was very handy with the handouts.  I wonder if this is the way to go.  Mind you, if it is on Holby City or ER or Google I can figure it out.  But she was very lovely and kind and my BP is so low now it is scary; but according to her that is good.  But more blood tests at Guy's. I bet my Dad is smiling to himself.

Quiet night tonight.  Andy is at his Christmas Party, which is fancy dress and he has gone as a dragon ...... don't ask.  So I thought I would stay in my room this evening (that Stockholm Syndrome thing again). But it has been a good day and it is beginning to look a bit like Christmas.  The Shard are doing something with their lights.  I noticed it on Monday.  The top lights changed to green and bright white, then went back to normal.  Last night, again the top part of The Shard turned bright, bright white. It looked beautiful.  We have battery lights from Poundland in our windows in the lounge; The Shard has bigger plans.  I am sure they are only doing it for me, for my first Christmas in London.
Thursday:  Busy 9.00-5.00 (it always is) and the day flew. Back home at the flat and Andy has cooked dinner for us both tonight.  What a little darling and I mean cooking as not just warming something up.  He has cooked a vegetarian pasta dish and a white chocolate cheesecake! How great is that.  We have the perfect relationship: share a home, own lives, own jobs, do things together, play on the Xbox and never have sex ............... just like most married couples I know!  It was absolutely delicious.  We spent the evening watching Se7en, one of my favourite films.  Andy had never seen it.  So he was in for a treat.  We did have a giggle tonight too.  Andy was telling me that a few years ago he went to the theatre to see Tonight's the Night and did not have a clue, until the end, that it was based on Rod Stewart songs! Doh! Bless.  I know what to get him now for Christmas, Rod's greatest hits.  It has been a great day.

Friday:  We made it again my friends.  Another week been and gone, and all and all it has been a great week.  Things have seemed to have settled now and that is good as I am still looking forward to Christmas.  I have been looking at my schedule today and the next time I have a totally free day/night to myself is next Thursday (17th).Update, looks as if I am now out on Thursday.   It is crazy.  But at least it gives me plenty to write about.

I finished work at 16:30 today and made my way to Southwark Tube Station to meet my friend. I met her at a Meet Up back in the summer.  We both hated the Meet Up but have remained friends.  Tonight we have had a blast.  First of all we went to a bar called Jack's at Southwark and had cocktails.  I do love a cocktail and especially on a Friday night!  The bartender was rather appealing and I treated myself to a little banter (as us single girls have to do). He was lapping it up and giving it back, so all good.  He made me this wonderful cocktail with cucumber, egg white (yes you did read that right), lime, chilli (again you did read that right) and gin!  It was bloody lovely.  I then had another cocktail, because I can, but this time it was a Tom Collins. My friend had two Bellinis.  

We then decided to go and get some food.  My friend works in this part of town and she said that she had seen a lovely restaurant near by.  It turned out to be opposite the pub that me and PPLP (my French friend) used to meet.  It is called the Union Street Cafe and it is owned by Gordon Ramsay.  The menu is created daily and is mainly Italian food. Oh my. What a treat we had. My friend had bruschetta topped with butternut squash and mascarpone cheese; was delicious because I had a taste. I had three small peppers stuffed with the most amazing tuna I have ever tasted.  It was so fresh and the flavour just exploded in my mouth.  For mains my friend had rigatoni with various meat and I had spaghetti with seafood.  Again, it was one of those meals you do not want it to end. We even had a desert.  My friend had quince apple tart and ice cream and I had a selection of Italian cheese. This was all washed down with a big glass of dry, white wine!  The staff were so attentive and I felt truly spoilt. To say I feel stuffed now would be an understatement.  It was such wonderful food and I would like to eat there again ................. if anyone is offering!

We walked back to Southwark Tube Station and I said good bye to my friend and she went to the tube.  I was going to get the bus home but decided to walk, it is not far. I cannot tell you how much joy I feel living in London.  To be able to have an evening like tonight is wonderful.  I walked home with that silly smile on my face.  It has been a good week.

                                    As always, with my love x



No comments:

Post a Comment