Saturday 19 December 2015

Last Christmas I gave you my heart, but the very next day you gave it away. This year to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special (Last Christmas - Wham!)

Oh how I love this song.  As soon as I hear it every year, it is Christmas.  I remember it, the year it come out.  It was Boxing Day and my dear old dad, me and my brother were in a bar, drinking, laughing and singing this.  This song will always be dear to me for that reason.  But let's face it, you have to love a bit of George.  George Michael can do no wrong in my eyes.  We could have a thing going you know (what is it with me and gay men?).  He has a beautiful house at Hampstead Heath and I would be quite happy pottering around there while he does 'his thing'.  As long as he sang Careless Whisper to me now and then.  I saw him a few years ago now in Manchester.  It was just a great big Wham! and George Michael karaoke evening.  I loved him in the 80's and I still love him now.  



Monday:  This week is going to be busy, busy, busy.  But today I am not at work; I am on annual leave.  I always work in between Christmas and New Year but am taking a couple of days off either end of the holidays and today is one of them.  

There is something naughty about making a cup of tea and going back to bed on a work day.  In fact, it was so nice, I went and made another.  Up and out and off to Guy's for another blood test then to the Chapel to make a donation for Christmas instead of cards. I cannot tell you how much joy this gave me this year to donate my Christmas Card money to the chapel.  I lit a candle for my Dad and one for my Mum as today would have been her birthday and another for everyone else.  So for those of you who have generously sent me a card here are a few photos of the Chapel.  I wanted to call my daughter Martha as I have always loved the artwork in the Chapel.  But that was not to be.  However, I do smile when I see this.  Enjoy.

Made my way to Borough Market and I was hungry by then so stopped to get some Ethiopian food.  It was mainly pulses (lentils) rice and vegetables but it had a rich taste to it and one part of if was quite spicy.  But it was lovely. It then walked my favourite walk along the Thames.  I love this walk. I had that stupid smile on my face that says 'I cannot believe I am living here'. 

London is alive for Christmas and every opportunity to build a shed and slap lights on it and call it a Christmas market is taken up on every corner. Today was no exception.  The Tate Modern had a Christmas Market.  I did not bother to go and have a look; as lovely as it looked.  It is normally stocked with over priced Christmas tat.  So I carried on walking up to the South Bank and then over the river and up to Soho.  A lovely, long, but enjoyable walk. 

I took myself off to Princi, where I went last week with my Italian friend and had a coffee and just sat in the window watching the world go by.  London was fairly quiet, I was surprised. I guess everyone was at Oxford Street or Regent Street. I started to walk over to Greek Street and Sheila rang.  I used to work with Sheila for many, many years and today her and her partner Mark were down in London from Stoke.  They are staying here for a few days and said that they would like to meet up for a chat and a drink.  Fortunately, I was off work today so it all fitted in really well.  We met at Cafe Boheme, which ironically, I have also been to with my Italian friend.  We spent the afternoon drinking wine, laughing and chatting away as if time had stood still. It is so lovely when people take time out their trips to London to want to come and meet up with me.  I do not expect them to, but I have seen so many people this year and I am so thankful that they want to meet me.  I had such a lovely afternoon with Sheila and Mark.  We left and went our separate ways.  It has been a really lovely day. 

Tuesday:  Tonight was our teams Christmas Dinner and we went to Wahaca at Soho. I have talked about Wahaca before.  It was founded by Thomasina Miers who won Masterchef in 2005. I have visited many Wahacas since I arrived in town and I have never had a bad meal there yet.  Tonight was no exception.  We had, and there were six of us, the Christmas menu and we were not disappointed.  We were served endless plates of the most wonderful Mexican food you could imagine.  The vegetarian option was great.  Coupled with numerous bottles of wine and then my new found love ....... tequila.  I have never liked tequila or shots.  I remember being out with my friends at Buddies back in Stoke many years ago and being on the shots, so much so, that I actually fell over on the dance floor and ceremoniously just sat there laughing, whilst blood was pouring from a cut in my knee.  Pandemonium perused resulting in me almost being thrown out.  That was a good evening. Tonight I had a few tequilas followed down by a tomato based shot that calmed the fire of the tequila.  Very enjoyable.

Walked to get the bus home from Piccadilly which was buzzing.  It was so busy and full of life at such a late, but in London early, time.  I eventually rolled up at the flat around 23:45, very tired and slightly ....... fuzzy!  All on a school night. But it was such a good, fun and enjoyable evening and well all said that we must do it again.  It was a good evening.

Wednesday:  I rarely get hangovers. In fact, I think the last one I had was after that fateful night in Stoke many years ago.  I remember then I just ordered a load of Chinese takeaway, that I could not eat, and laid on the sofa all day with a duvet over me.  This morning I was tired.  I did not want to get out of bed and that is not me.  9.00-5.00 done and I was on a couple of buses to get to Brixton to meet my little Meet Up group.  It was a really sweet pub called the Crown and Anchor, we went to but only a few of us actually met.  It is the time of year, everyone is busy and it is to be expected.  I was fading by then and just had one drink.  What you will find in London is you will go to the bar and order a gin and tonic and automatically you are asked do you want a double; one double gin and tonic later and I wanted my PJs.  

I said my farewells and Merry Christmases and got the bus straight outside of the pub that took me to my flat.  Joy oh joy.  I made a phone call on the way home and my friend who I should be meeting tomorrow has a chest infection so we are not meeting.  Whilst I do not want them to be ill, I am relieved that I can have a night doing absolutely nothing.  Back at the flat and the bad news was we still have no wi fi.  I said to Andy being on my own in London at Christmas is doable.  Having no wi fi is not.  It ended up with me and Andy lying on my bed watching The Apprentice on my TV.  We did giggle as he rolls up to my room with his blanket he puts over him in the evening and I said oh the blanket great and he had no intention of sharing it with me, as I had my bed.  Like I am going to get in bed.  Half the blanket later, we were sitting there watching the TV as if we were in some obscure nursing home or reinacting a scene from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the whole family are sitting in their bed!

I lasted out until the end of the programme but as soon as it was over (like most blokes) he was off the bed, blanket in tow and out of the door.  I slept well. Oh and we now have wi fi.  Thank goodness.

Thursday:  I know I must be tired as the alarm clock once again had to wake me up.  Normally I am awake before old Nina Simone starts singing. I have to confess, I am looking forward to my lazy evening tonight.  It will give me some rest bite before the next wave of entertainment.  I will have to, at some point, plan when I am going to get the rest of my foodie bits for next week and more importantly, where from.   I have just checked on Borough Market's webpage and they are open until 18:00 on Tuesday and Wednesday.  I will go there on Wednesday to get my vegetables, cheese, olives and other bits and bobs.  Remember this year; quality not quantity.

A quieter 9.00-5.00 which made a change.  Straight home, PJs on and chilling and that is all I am going to do tonight.  Catch up on Holby and Luther and chill. New dress arrived and once again, I am really pleased with it.  Oh I forgot to mention, I saw this advertisement yesterday in our local W H Smith's.  It really did make me chuckle.  I guess these are Ladybird Books the London way.  I think I would like to read the one about the Hipster and definitely the Dating one.  Heavens knows what will be in that one!  Also, I have at least one person I would glad-fully send the Mid Life Crisis one to!   Yet another good day.

Friday:  Grey morning in London. Oh how I miss those blues sky mornings.  I would love to wake, every morning, to a beautiful blue skied day, with enough warmth to heat the top of my feet. But not today London, not today. But it is Friday and almost the longest day.  Work done and dusted for the week and home to get ready to get out.  Tonight I met my French friend PPLP.  We have not seen each other for a few weeks as he has now started work and it has just been busy.

I walked over to his flat (he lives, at the moment, just over the road from us) and we walked along to a nearby pub.  We normally go and listen to some music over at Shoreditch or Hoxton; but tonight we wanted to have a chat.  He has really good English but I do have to concentrate when I am listening to him and the music can be a distraction.  I was surprised. I thought London would have been buzzing but it was relatively quiet.  We had a lovely evening, catching up on all our news.  His family arrive from France tomorrow for the Christmas week so his Christmas starts tomorrow.  We discussed places he can go to see with his nieces and nephews.  Walked home and it was so warm.  I cannot believe it is December and I am just wearing a little jacket ..... crazy. So it has been a busy but wonderful week.  This is why I come to London - to live. Life is good.

As always, with my love x


No comments:

Post a Comment