Sunday 23 August 2015

Be good to yourself, because nobody else, has the power to make you happy! (Heal the Pain - George Michael)


Saturday:  The original plans I had for today had changed over night.  So I decided that I was going to give myself a good day as the weather was stunning.  My feet are terribly bruised and quite painful but I was determined to get out and about so I got the bus over to Greenwich.  Our flat is so centrally placed. I can walk literally across the road and for the princely sum of £1.50 get all the way to Greenwich.

Obviously, I have not been to Greenwich for years and whilst obviously nothing amongst the historical setting has changed; the skyline of London most certainly has.
 I remember as a child visiting Greenwich with my brother and going on the Cutty Sark. Also the other picture shows the entrance to the tunnel that goes under the Thames to the Isle of Dogs.  I can remember vividly our excitement as children as we thought we were under the River.  It was so exciting for us and today, when I looked at the entrance again I could still feel that anticipation of actually walking under the river.

It has been really hot today so I found somewhere and sat and read my book for a couple of hours.  I am reading a Dawn French novel which has made me laugh, literally out loud.  Fortunately, no one seem to care.  It was really quite relaxing.  I know I keep saying it, but this is one of the many things that I love about this City.  You can just be you; no one cares what you look like, what you are wearing (look at the Ghostbusters on Friday night for example).  You can be as unique and as wonderful as you truly are.  I wandered around the Craft Market and treated myself to a lovely linen top made which come from Italy.  It was rather expensive, so I did think about it then thought, stuff it.  I think I will enjoy wearing it!
I decided to move myself, eventually, and walked up the to the Greenwich Observatory and I am so glad that I made the effort. The views from the top were absolutely stunning. 
I wondered, as I was walking up, what people were actually looking at.  But I fought the temptation not to look back until I reached the top and I am so pleased that I did so. As, when I eventually reached the top and stopped and turned round the view literally took my breath away. In front of me was Canary Wharf in all it's glory and to the right was the O2 as it is now know as, or you may know it as the Millennium Dome.  I found a bench nearby and sat, once again, just listening to music and reading my book.  When the sun comes out Londoners find some green somewhere and there were families enjoying picnics, people with Frisbees even a guy juggling.

I really did have a truly wonderful day. 

The entrance to the tunnel under the Thames

The Cutty Sark
Sunday:  What is it with Sunday mornings?  Do you think our bodies automatically know that it is Sunday and therefore we should not be up at a reasonable time?  I guess the alternative to this train of thought is those Sunday mornings when you are wide awake at 5:00am.  But up I was and showered and ready to hit the road.  I decided, in my wisdom, to get the bus up to Hoxton/Shoreditch totally forgetting that today is Sunday and doh the buses are not as frequent as they are in the week.

So I waited and waited and eventually along rolled the number 21 bus.  I use an app on my phone called City Mapper which is totally priceless.
It gets me everywhere and even tells you when the bus is due and when you need to get off the bus. However, unless I actually put my glasses on, I can't read the damn thing.  So when I get off the bus I have no idea where in the world I am, but you know me guys.  This is the woman who travels all over the world on her own and I soon found where I needed to be.  Hello Hoxton!  I had arrived.


The purpose of my trip today was to join a Meet Up group who were meeting to mediate at Russell Brand's Trew Era Cafe.  For those of you who do not know, this cafe is a non-profit making social enterprise which come about after residents on the New Era Housing Estate were going to be losing there homes as developers wanted to triple (yes you did read that right) their rents so that it was impossible for them to remain in their home.  The residents protested and Russell Brand supported them and drew attention to their cause, resulting in the developers backing out and the 100 or so residents did not lose their home.

The cafe was opened in March and was funded by Russell Brand from the
proceeds of his book 'Revolution'.  The aim of the project is to employ former substance misuse users, to give them the opportunity to continue with their recovery and to gain work experience. The mediation Meet Up group meet their every Sunday and this is their third week.  The cafe suspends trading for 30 minutes whilst the meditation takes place.  The atmosphere was electrifying.  Such energy.  As soon as I walked in I thought, wow, I am home!

There were approximately 25 people there to meditate and eventually we sat in silence just meditating and it was great.  Such positive energy.  After the meditation we just sat talking, drinking tea and eating brunch.  There was a woman giving, and you are going to love this, Turkish coffee grain readings.  I am sniggering now as I have a few of you in my mind thinking 'what the f*c%'.  So I have to have a go don't I.  It really was quite interesting and she hit the nail on the head, especially around one particular thing that is my Achilles' heel.  Very interesting and thought provoking and she was such a lovely, caring woman.  I then had some brunch which consisted of a pot of Earl Grey tea and the most delicious toasted sandwich filled with feta cheese, mint and aubergine (I think there was another ingredient in there, but I cannot remember what it was) it was so tasty and served with salad.

So we just sat and talked, that is myself (obviously) and Andre who was organising the meet (he does not want to be viewed as that but just to paint you the picture) and Anna.  It was so relaxing just to be spending time with like-minded people.  Such positive energy and the time just flew by.  The cafe really does have the most positive energy.  The staff as so lovely, welcoming and warm. There was one woman there with the most amazing hair.  It was short at the back with a mass of white/blonde curls on top.

Sophie and Michelle
I told her that I wanted hair like that one day.  And she laughed and said go for it!  I also met Sophie and Michelle who worked there.  The group meet every Sunday, there is no obligation to attend, you just turn up and go with the flow. 

I think I have found my tribe. 

Remarkably, found my way back, in the rain, to the bus stop and eventually to the flat. Once again, the thought of taking up photography crossed my mind. Since arriving in London I am feeling rather creative and I think the writing of my blog has been a major contributory factor to this.  Fortunately, I knew just the person to contact for some professional advice.  

Let me tell you about Chris.  Chris lives in Stoke (that's where I know him from) and takes the most amazing photographs. Ironically, he is one of the guys who messaged me out of the blue on Wednesday (so now you know one of the name on my Bridget Jones list is Chris, but you don't know the other three).  I am in awe of him and his work and he is also (in my humble opinion) a very good artist as well. A very talented and creative guy. I messaged him and asked him for his advice as to what I should be looking at and buying, camera wise.  It is 
a long time since I had a proper camera and things have really changed since then. Chris was absolutely lovely and spent a great deal of time explaining and suggesting models to me and the reasoning behind that choice.  Whilst I am not totally aware what I should be doing, I know now that I will be buying a camera in the next few days and if I get in a pickle with it, Chris said he is more than happy to help me, albeit him living in Stoke, but hey we can figure that out!

I will probably look to 'hang out' with another Meet Up group where I can meet other photographers to get ideas and learn how to use the damn thing.  It got me thinking. Over the past couple of years I have met some wonderful people; people who, if my circumstances had remained the same, I would never have met.  I guess what I am saying is, sometimes something terrible has to happen to enable something wonderful to take place.  I never, in a month of Sundays, would have thought I would ever be living in London.  But here I am. I am writing daily, taking photographs, growing vegetables and smiling every (well almost) day. I am so lucky to be surrounded by such amazing, talented, caring
people. Each one who brings their own special sparkle to light up my life.  Thank you each and every one of you.

Anyway, take a look at his work and let me know what you think.  You can find him on Facebook, just type in Chris Wright Street Photography and you will find him and his wonderful work.  I guess this is the right time to say don't expect the same quality of photos from me.  However, I am quite excited about the prospect of getting out and about and not only writing about my adventures, but also now being able to, hopefully, take some wonderful pictures to accompany my rantings.

So another week and weekend comes to an end.  Time is a funny old thing.  Living in Stoke seems a distant memory now; whilst other situations remain constantly with me even though they are nowhere to be seen.

As always, with my love x













No comments:

Post a Comment